Friday, March 15, 2013

The Invisible Leprechaun in my Bathroom

Rejecting the Religion of Rejecting Religion

 Back in the late 90s I bought a t-shirt that said “Reject Religion, Embrace Jesus.” I was still in high school. When I wore it out I got some funny looks from both Christians and non. This shirt helped me engage in many conversations and more than one argument. It was an edgy idea. It was the idea that religion and God were not one and the same. I loved that shirt.
Now I see those shirts all the time. There are sermon series, books, bumper stickers, podcasts, viral videos, Tumblr, Pintrest, and Facebook posts all about this. It's borderline become the mantra of Western non-Orthodoxy: God is a Relationship not Religion. The church is not a building. Shrug off the old and bring in the new. Reject religion, Embrace Jesus.
I still agree with this philosophy. Nothing that I just said is untrue or un-Biblical. God desires a relationship and not empty religion (Mark 7:8-13, Isaiah 29:11-16). But like all things that get put on a t-shirt, bumper sticker, Tumblr, and Facebook, this whole idea has become trite. It's fun to say. It's a great thing to drop on people when we talk to them about Jesus and they say, “I'm not religious.” It becomes the next fad and it eventually dies out.
Anybody out there rocking their WWJD? bracelet?
The thing that gets lost in all of this is the source of the main problem. Religion is easy, but relationships are difficult. Rejecting the standard way of living in favor of something that most people would find crazy is not an easy way to live. One of my atheist friends acquainted my relationship to God to his “relationship” with the invisible leprechaun who lives in his bathroom. It is a lot easier to say, “I follow the teachings of Jesus, and go to church to be a better person” then it is to say, “I have surrendered all of my will to Jesus, and I love Him.” To be fair it is just as easy to say, “I reject all the trappings of religion and I follow Jesus” without actually doing it.
A relationship with Jesus has a lot more riding on it then talking to the invisible leprechaun in your bathroom. Jesus puts some pretty clear boundaries on the relationship (before you get all arrogant remember the very nature of relationships is boundaries). Jesus says to follow Him in His sacrifice (Luke 9:23). Jesus tells us if we love Him then we show that through our obedience (John 15:9+10). Jesus promises us that with a relationship with Him we will have trouble with the world at large (Matthew 10:33-35).
When we tell people it's about a relationship and not religion we leave all that stuff out. It sounds to religious that Jesus would want us to live differently. It sounds so constricting to have Christ be the center of our lives. It's hard to seal the deal when we reveal that following in Christ's sufferings means discomfort, and no longer being able to be true to oneself. Nobody likes to be a disciple when the Romans come in with torches and clubs.
Religion sounds so sweet at this point. That's why we've turned all this into the Religion of Rejecting Religion. A lot of us like the idea but few of us like the execution. For those of us who don't like rules we just turn this into the rule of no rules. We drop this line so we cannot be judged. We are quick to jump on all the issues with organized religion without mentioning the plights of unorganized religion. We've become what we hate. We've become rote.
This is not a condemnation it is a gut check. If we consider ourselves religious or not we need to see if we're hiding behind what we've built or standing firm on what Christ has done.  


No comments:

Post a Comment