Sunday, January 13, 2013

What is Success?

At least I know what it isn't...

Jonah 1+2/ Matthew 17+18

            Faith like a child…Become like a one of these…or Jonah in the whale. Our entire society is in high gear to push people into “adult hood.” Then when we are there they continue to push us with words like “professional” and “responsibility” or “success.” To sound very juvenile: FTS, really?
            I’ve seen it. I’ve seen people get everything that we are told to achieve and they are miserable. I’ve seen people with the highest level of education, the highest level of money, and the highest level of success in their chosen field and all they are looking for is that next level. “…Let the little children come to me…” When the focus is turned inward it is always found wanting. We can only better ourselves so much. We can only go so far and the ladder is only so tall.
            What do we find at the top of the ladder? We find a bunch of pissed off, entitled little bastards nipping at our heals just trying to pull us back down. So many people view other people’s success as their personal failure. I’ve seen this in the World and the Church. If that person who is not as good as you or not as educated as you or doesn’t think the same way as you is somehow put on the same playing field as you then obviously they cannot be congratulated. They must be stopped. They have nothing to offer you and your fancy degrees. They must be destroyed or passive aggressively attacked.
            …Like one of these…Faith like a child…it is so simple. My son is entertained simply. He feels loved simply. He feels success simply. He feels anger simply. With Jesus pointing back to us being like children and being His children He reminds us of our place in the Universe. We are all God’s children. We must act accordingly. We must live simply. We have no control over the biggest things. God wants us to trust Him. Why? He wants us to trust because we’ll worry ourselves crazy trying to keep up with everyone else. He knows why we’re here, He knows what we need to do, and He knows what the outcome will be. It is simple.
As the days continue on I see how I am not of this world. I don’t care about what they care about; I don’t think the way they think. The stuff that all of these, professional, career driven, 401k-ing adults get excited about doesn’t get me going. I need more then a paycheck. I need more then a retirement plan. I need more then employee of the month.
Everyday feels like a little more paint is being peeled off the window. One day I will see clearly what now is so foggy. One day this too shall be made right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment